Silver is a fragile metal, and silver jewellery therefore is usually delicate. Hence, it becomes a little tricky to clean silver jewellery.
- Make sure to immediately wash or rinse your silver jewellery with warm water if it is exposed to foods containing sulphur, or those which are acidic or salty. Common foods such as table salt, eggs, certain fruits, onions, mayonnaise, and vinegar are harmful to silver.
- If your silver jewellery blackens or stains appear on them, simple hand washing may not suffice to clean it. Specially formulated silver jewellery polishes are your safest option. Go to a reputed jeweller in your neighbourhood and get the jewellery polished.
- Store the jewellery in a cool and dry place as moisture accelerates coloration of silver.
- For buffing, use a soft cloth to gently rub the silver/gold clean, and immediately wipe it dry with a soft towel
- A must-do tip is to please keep all your jewellery—silver, gold and platinum—in separate pouches.
- Avoid using rubber gloves when washing silver, as rubber corrodes silver jewellery.
- Don’t leave silver in water that may contain traces of acidic or salty foods
Keep your gold clean and shining:
Gold jewellery needs to be safely stored and well-protected. There are many ways to keep maintain the glitter and shine of gold.
- Gold jewellery can be cleaned with a mild detergent diluted in warm water. After cleaning, it should be dried and wiped with a soft cloth
- One can restore the shine of jewellery by using a gold polishing cloth. Be sure to turn the cloth frequently so you’re always using a clean spot.
- Never clean gold with tissue. It contains small wood fibres that can cause scratches.
Keep your platinum jewellery clean and safe:
Platinum is one of the strongest among precious metals and it never tarnishes. Nevertheless, platinum rings can spot scratches at time – displacing atoms within the ring but never eroding.
- Once a year give your platinum ring a good polish. This will remove all the scratches and give it a shine as well.
- Try to clean your jewellery on a weekly basis – place your ring in a bottle of jewellery cleaner for 15-20 minutes and rinse off with hot water.
- Remove your platinum jewellery while doing housework like cooking, cleaning, etc.
- Store platinum jewellery separately; keeping it with other metals may cause scratches.
When it comes to precious stones like diamonds or other gem stones, special care ought to be taken. We will be covering this in our next blog. Keep reading.