Be a trail blazer, create your own style
The wedding season has arrived and it is a busy time. There will be back-to-back functions—haldi, mehendi, sangeet, the wedding day itself, reception—and you have to look your best for each of those. Preparations begin well in advance, with extensive research on each look being planned for each of those functions. Be it the outfit, ornaments or other accessories, everyone would want to sport something that is unique and makes them stand out in the crowd.
While many follow popular trends of the time, nowadays more and more people, especially youngsters, are creating their own styles and setting new trends. Here are a few simple tips on how to get different ethnic and Western looks to suit your style:
1) Wear the saree your way: The saree is a must-have outfit for any traditional function. So why not create a new look with it? For instance, trade your traditional saree blouse for a smartly designed short kurti. Else, try out the saree gown; it is fun, quirky and elegant and would make for a stylish pick. Pair up your ethnic look with traditional jewellery like haar-style necklace sets, copper bangles, alloy rings and jewellery pieces, kundan jewellery and multi-bangle earrings.
2) Go for the dhoti-choli: Your outfits are an extension of your personality and reflect your ideas and emotions. If you want to make a bold style statement, opt for the dhoti-choli–a beautifully designed ethnic outfit that fits both formal functions like sangeet and mehendi, but also casual events like cocktail parties. Accessorise the outfit with maang tikkas, multi-coloured bangle sets and dangling jhumkas.
3) Layer up the Anarkali: This wedding season, do away with the conventional Anarkali and give it an extra twist. It is currently a popular trend to add more layers and frills to it. Jewellery that goes with the Anarkali are alloy hoops, pearl drop earrings, studded earrings, cocktail and studded stone rings and mattha patti.
Keep ready a few western outfits for casual events like cocktail and bachelorette parties.
1) Less is more: Fashion experts are of the opinion that “minimalism” is the flavour of the year. Heavy and over-the-top designs are giving way to modern cuts and stand-out colours. Flaunt a sleek-cut gown with Swarovski crystals or dance the night away in a short neoprene skirt. Simple wear like palazzos, skirts, jumpsuits and rompers will also make a comeback this season. Jewellery that best suits the “less is more” look includes metallic cuffs and alloy jewellery like bracelets, kada and rings. Give earrings a complete miss and opt for chokers or long necklaces.
2) Experiment with colours: Chuck the red, white and gold palette of colours and opt for earthy tones like brown, beige, khaki and ivory. Also in vogue are bright, sunny colours like sky blue, bright pink and earthy greens. Add more dimensions to this look by adorning bead necklaces and bracelets. Simple silver jewellery brings its own charm too.